Microsoft Remote Desktop -- Mac access to Windows computer
A member of the CCI Commons or CCI Technical staff should help you with, doing some initial set-up.
If you wish to try it yourself, here are the instructions we use to do this.
- Download & install & run the "Microsoft Remote Desktop" from the AppStore
The app with the circular icon, *NOT* the square icon.
- If off-campus, first connect using Drexel's Cisco AnyConnect VPN application with vpn.drexel.edu as the hostname.
- Click the + sign in the app.
- On the Windows computer, you are trying to remotely access, open the cmd command line prompt application window.
- Type in: ipconfig
- Grab the IPv4 IP address (126.96.36.199 or something like that - BUT YOURS WILL BE DIFFERENT NUMBERS)
- On your Mac, in PC name, enter the IP address from the above name in the "Setting up a Windows computer for Remote Desktop access" section above.
- Click "Save."
- Double-click the IP address from step #3 above.
- User should enter: "DREXEL\" (no quotes), followed by the user's DrexelOne userid or short-form Drexel email address
Example 1: DREXEL\mjg88
Example 2: DREXEL\icommonscrc
- Users can enter their DrexelOne password OR wait until after they have connected to their computer.
- If a warning window appears that "The certificate couldn't be verified…", just click "Continue" OR click the option to proceed with connecting to the remote computer.
- If you need to use another window on your Mac than the Remote Desktop window showing Windows follow these instructions:
- Move your mouse pointer to the top of your display.
- A menu bar should appear, with small orange circles on the left.
- Click green to get out of full-screen mode
- Click yellow to minimize the window.
- Click red to close the window and disconnect from your section.
- Do NOT turn off your remote computer.