QuickTime -- Recovering a Video
If you just recorded a video in QuickTime, and try to save the "Untitled" or not yet saved video, and you get a window pop-up that says "Cannot Open," or for some reason just can't save the video…
- Keep the unsaved video open.
- If you close or have closed the unsaved video, you may lose the video.
- Open Finder or click a blank area of your desktop.
- Press keyboard combination of Cmd-Shift-g or go to the "Go" option in "Finder."
- Type in the following folder path in the field provided, and click "OK."
- ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX/Data/Library/Autosave Information/
- Note that you can just type in the first ~/Library/Containers or so, press OK, and click through to the rest.
- Look for a file called "Unsaved QuickTime Player Document.qtpxcomposition," or something similar.
- Right-click or ctrl-click or 2-finder clicker the file, and select "Show Package Contents."
- Copy the "Screen Recording.mov" file to your desktop.
- Open the "Scree Recording.mov" file on your desktop and confirm it's the recording you want.
- If you have the right recording, close without saving the "Untitled" or not yet saved video window. You do not need it now.
- Rename the "Scree Recording.mov" file on your desktop as something appropriate.
Thanks to stackexchange and Matt Sephton for posting this tip at webpage below.