Microsoft Remote Desktop -- Set up Win PC for Remote Desktop access
Set up Windows computer for Remote Desktop access
- On the Windows computer someone is trying to remotely access, open the cmd command line prompt application window.
Start > search for "run" > Run > type in: cmd.exe
Type in: ipconfig
Grab the IPv4 IP address (188.8.131.52 or the something like that - BUT YOURS WILL BE DIFFERENT NUMBERS)
IP address will be different for each user.
- Click Start > gear icon or Settings > System > Remote Desktop
- Turn Enable Remote Desktop On
Make sure "Keep my PC awake…" and "Make My PC discoverable…" are checked.
*IGNORE* the "Use this PC name to connect area."
- Under "User accounts," click "Select users that can remotely access this PC."
- Click "Add…" in the "Remote Desktop Users" window.
Full time technical staff and iCommons crc should already be listed. If not, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
"Enter the object names to select (examples)", type in "DREXEL\" (no
quotes), followed by the user's DrexelOne userid or short form Drexel
Example 2: DREXEL\icommonscrc
- Click "Check Names"
If an error, remove and re-type.
- Click "OK."
User should now appear in "Remote Desktop Users" window.
- Click "Ok."
- Make sure the computer gets left on.
No has to be logged in.
- Make sure the computer is connected to the internet.
- Follow the instructions on the relevant webpage now.
Windows: Microsoft Remote Desktop -- Windows Access to a Windows Computer
Mac: Microsoft Remote Desktop -- Mac access to Windows computer